Re: another 1.5 release

From: Albert Chin
Subject: Re: another 1.5 release
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:22:32 -0600

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:33:41AM +0100, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Daniel Reed wrote on Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:36:24AM CET:
> > Is there any chance .multilib2 can be incorporated into 1.5.12? As written,
> > it simply causes libtool to ask gcc to find .la files if gcc is in use. It
> > should have no impact on non-gcc builds and should not cause any files to be
> > missed (the original behavior is used if gcc is unable to find a requested
> > file).
>
> The general idea looks fine to me.  Unless other libtool distro
> maintainers disagree, I'd like to see this in branch-1-5 (and then in
> branch-2-0 and HEAD as well).

Shouldn't we come up with a more general solution first? Embedding
knowledge of a specific compiler in ltmain.sh is wrong. That's what
libtool.m4 is for.

Is there general consensus of this patch as a model for other
platforms (Solaris, Linux with non-GCC compilers, IRIX, etc.)? It
seems way too Linux-specific to me.

--
albert chin (address@hidden)