Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?

From: Noah Misch
Subject: Re: Relocatable libraries with libtool--can I do it?
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 14:41:41 -0800

On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 07:18:48PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> But I need to be able to copy that entire image to another location, set
> ROOT to that location, and cross-compile code using that image in that
> new location.

>     export ROOT=/tmp/ppc-image
>     ./configure --prefix=/usr CC=ppc-gcc CXX=ppc-g++
>     make
>     make install DESTDIR="$ROOT"

Here's an idea.  To make existing libtool work with your arrangement, you could
instead build every libtool-using package like this:

./configure --prefix=$ROOT other-args
make
make install

Then, for each $ROOT you used, make at $ROOT _within the image_ a symlink
pointing to top of the image.  For ROOT=/roots/ppc-image,

cd $ROOT ; mkdir roots ; cd roots ; ln -s .. ppc-image

(Your image will not be FHS-compliant.)