Re: make distcheck

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: make distcheck
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:09:52 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Bill Moseley wrote:

Could someone explain what these are telling me -- and more
importantly, if they are indication of a problem?

address@hidden:~/swish-e$ make distcheck >/dev/null
libtool: install: warning: remember to run `libtool --finish
/home/moseley/swish-e/swish-e-2.4.3/_inst/lib'
libtool: install: warning: `libswish-e.la' has not been installed in
`/home/moseley/swish-e/swish-e-2.4.3/_inst/lib'

BTW - This isn't about libtool, but one odd thing that happens once in a
while is "make distcheck" will sometimes abort and leave a bunch of
read-only files so that subsequent "make distcheck" runs fail.  Do other
people experience the same thing?

Yes, of course. 'make distcheck' is difficult to get going, but is really an excellent test and accomplishing it should be an important objective. Most likely the problem you are seeing is that something is happening in the wrong order. For example, maybe the libraries are being installed in the wrong order.

Libtool itself has never kept 'make distcheck' from working for me. The multitude of other issues such as install/uninstall paths, using DESTDIR properly, and getting the test suite to work in all cases have been the major chores related to distcheck.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden