Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool --silent based on MAKEFLAGS?
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:49:53 -0600 (CST)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hi Martin,

* Martin Waitz wrote on Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 02:50:42PM CET:

next request:

could libtool take a look at MAKEFLAGS and automatically use --silent
mode when 's' is included in the make flags?

That sounds like a good idea -- in principle.

I don't really like this idea, no real reason, just that looking at some
other program's environment variable feels wrong.

I haven't even looked at your patch, and please don't consider this a veto,
just want to know if there is any third alternative.

I am pretty happy with my configure-based hack. It assumes that libtool will work as expected so it is not necessary for the user to see everything by default. Unfortunately, when things go wrong, it is necessary to reconfigure in order to debug libtool.

The MAKEFLAGS approach makes an assumption. It assumes that libtool is being driven by 'make' rather than some other tool like Jam, Ant, an IDE, or some other alternative build tool. There is no requirement for a project using libtool to also use 'make'.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden