libtoolize

From: Patrick Welche
Subject: libtoolize
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:18:28 +0000

What is libtoolize meant to do these days?

It used to copy necessary files such as libtool.m4 ltsugar.m4 and friends
into . or MACRO_DIR if defined. Now it seems it just copies ltmain.sh ?!

That patch I sent to libtool-patches was just because I noticed that
libtool's "install" tries to delete ${prefix}/aclocal/libtool.m4, whereas
aclocal looks in ${prefix}/share/aclocal (maybe they should both be
${datadir} == ${prefix}/share). It seems that we should also be deleting
ltoptions.m4 ltsugar.m4 ltversion.m4 etc as we now install all of them
in ${datadir}/libtool-${version}/m4.

I have been having difficulties rather similar to those described in
"Convincing Automake to support libtool". I encourage aclocal to be
able to expand LT_INIT by copying libtool.m4 into . , but later get
version mismatches, as I think the old ltversion.m4 in share/aclocal is
getting expanded rather than the one in libtool-2.1a/m4

As to where the point the finger, I would say "libtoolize" as it doesn't
seem to be copying the .m4's from libtool-2.1a/m4, assuming that is what
it is still meant to do..

Cheers,

Patrick