Re: 2 non-libtool libs want to start

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: Re: 2 non-libtool libs want to start
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:50:53 -0800

On Sat, 2004-12-11 at 07:58, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

> Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> | I verified with nm that both the R and boost test libraries define
> | (not just refer to) the symbol _main.
>
> Hmm, that is a little strange, I just built R (the fink package for 2.0.1)
> and don't have a _main function defined in or referenced from the R framework.
On further digging, the problem is specific to R 1.9 (specifically, I
looked at 1.9.1).  The link line for the library includes all the files
under system/, and that means system.c, which has main, is included.

R 2.0 library doesn't have main on any of the systems I've checked.

> | I'm stunned it works at all.  For example, the documentation on the
> | loader on OS X seems to imply it will barf on doubly defined symbols.
> This totally depends on how the library was linked.
>

> | On linux, when I changed the order of the libs, the boost test suite
> | took control and ran all the tests I had specified.  That was the
> | behavior I wanted.
>
> This should also work on darwin/Mac OS X, the linker will (normally) use the
> first definition it sees. Please let me know how to reproduce your setup and
> I'll try to have something by year-end.

Let me know if you still want to pursue this and I can help.  For me,
going to 2.0 looks as if it will solve the problem.  For you, perhaps
the oddball linking problem this raises is still of interest.
Ross