Re: Understanding -static

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Understanding -static
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 19:50:30 +0100

Le 4 janv. 05, à 00:02, Peter O'Gorman a écrit :
Hi Akim,

Hi!

I have no idea what is supposed to happen in this situation. You have
specified that static libraries should not be built and also asked that
executables be statically linked against not-yet-installed libraries.

Right.

If you
configure with --enable-static then you get a statically linked executable, but the default in your application is not to build static libs, so it links
against the only available thing the shared lib, yet it thinks it is
building static and makes no wrapper script :(

Right.  But linking statically a dynamic library doesn't sound
absurd to me (but I may be naive here).  At least, it works fine
on GNU/Linux.

Perhaps libtool should complain that -static was specified and no static library was available in this case? How on earth does linux manage this?

What is the problem actually?

It seems that if there is no specific test in libtool for a feature, you can
pretty much guarantee that it does not work on Darwin :(

:) :) :)

When I use gcc directly, I have a weird failure.

sulaco% g++ -o hw main.o -static ./.libs/libhw.dylib
ld: can't locate file for: -lcrt0.o

There is nothing like crt0 on my machine.

sulaco% locate '*crt*o'
/sw/lib/python2.3/test/test_descrtut.pyo
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/ test/test_descrtut.pyo
/usr/lib/crt1.o
/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.1/crtbegin.o
/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3/crt2.o
/usr/lib/gcrt1.o