Re: on SunOS "grep -e" fails

From: Elmar Rudigier
Subject: Re: on SunOS "grep -e" fails
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:35:53 +0100

For information:

before upgrading to libtool-1.5.10 i have already used
automake-1.9.3 and
autoconf-2.95

lg
Elmar

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 04:53:43PM CET:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

On SunOS grep, which is installed in /usr/bin, doesn't accept the option
'-e'. But there is another grep installed on the system (in /usr/xpg4/bin),
which accept this option.

Maybe it's possible to check if which grep accepts this option?

That should already be done (i.e., the xpg4 version should be chosen
automagically).

The xpg4 version is not in the Solaris default path, therefore, it is unlikely to be noticed by autoconf.

Well, new enough Autoconf checks for {,e,f}grep in /usr/xpg4/bin as
well, and checks for -e and acceptance of long lines.  But I failed to
see that this check is in 2.59b only, not 2.54.
(I checked this now on a Solaris machine :)

Is there an easy way to replace AC_PROG_EGREP with a better version in
libtool.m4 iff Autoconf's version is not good enough?
We can hardly force Libtool users to Autoconf 2.59b.

I don't think we can fix all calls to {,e,f}grep and $EGREP, because
some of the arguments are user input (but I only checked briefly).

Elmar wrote that a Libtool update fixed this, but I still think that
together with old Automake this failure could possibly show up
somewhere.

Regards,

DI(FH) Elmar Rudigier               Salomon Automation GmbH
Softwareentwickler F&E              A-8114 Friesach bei Graz
fon: +43-3127-200-312               fax: +43-3127-200-202
mailto:address@hidden    www.salomon.at