Re: link_all_deplibs

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: link_all_deplibs
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:18:40 +0100

Hi Christoph,

* Christoph Wellner wrote on Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 01:11:37PM CET:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:26:22 +0100, Ralf Wildenhues
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> >* Christoph Wellner wrote on Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 04:07:21PM CET:
> >>
> >>i have trouble starting my application since I get undefined references.
> >>As source I determined the variable "link_all_deplibs_CXX" wich is
> >>explicitly set to 'no' in libtool.m4.
> >>I'm running libtool-1.5.6 under debian Sarge and the problem is, that
> >>the
> >>libtool.m4-file is different from the one that comes with the
> >>libtool-distribution from the homepage.
*snip*

> well, I think the problem is on my side. The problem is the following:
> I habe libraries libA and libB and my application app. app uses functions
> from libA and libB, and libA uses functions from libB. So I linked libA
> against libB and my app against libA. This worked fine, but now I get
> undefined references, unless I also link libB against app.

If you install libA as libtool library (i.e., libA.la is installed as
well), then this should work.  libA.la should contain the information
that it depends on libB, that is, if you supplied that at the time of
creating libA.la.

Even if libtool does not state it in its documentation as of now:
If your application directly uses libB (as opposed only through the
use of libA), then you should list libB in the application's link line
as well.  Even if only for documentation purposes.

Regards,