Re: Cray X1 port

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Cray X1 port
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 22:44:04 +0100

Hi Gary,

* Gary Kedziora wrote on Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 10:22:52PM CET:

> Thanks for the help.  I'm not sure which config.guess I was using the
> other day, but now I had to look for one. I found one in the X1 system
> autoconf/share directories that printed out 'craynv-cray-unicosmp2.5.X'.
>  That is what the available system autoconf says as well.

Looks reasonable.

> The first make did not work.  It had several errors compiling ltdl.c.

Please post complete make output.  Please also post what configure
outputs.  If you know how to fix them, feel free to post a patch as
well.

> I generated a new configure script with autoconf and then tried the
> configure and make.  Make says that aclocal-1.9 and automake-1.9 are not
> available.  It seems that the system installed tools are out of date.

Both should not be necessary, since you have not (yet) changed the m4
files or configure.ac or Makefile.am.  But when that is the case,
running ./bootstrap will be the way to recreate the necessary output,
and you will have to install Automake (not necessarily version 1.9).

> It then attempts to reconfigure and stops again at compiling ltdl.c.
>
> I find no occurence of cray or unicos in any of the m4 scripts.  I'm

This is nothing to worry about per se.
(From a libtool point of view, Unicos/mk ought to be a really simple
system.)

> using libtool-1.5.10.  Do you think this is a system set-up problem or
> does libtool no longer support Cray?  I'm new to tinkering with
> autoconf, automake, and libtool....

Just post all compile errors so we can fix them.
When we're done with that, let's see how the Libtool testsuite fares,
  make check
will do that -- and
  make check VERBOSE=x TESTS='test1.test ...'
will allow you to selectively rerun the tests that failed with more
output.  Tests in libtool are grouped, so you might have to rerun them
in groups.

Also note that since 1.5.10 a few fixes have gone into branch-1-5 of
Libtool which fix spurious testsuite failures on static-only systems.
I'll point them out when they show up, they're harmless.

Regards,