Re: POSIX threds example needed

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: POSIX threds example needed
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:54:05 +0100

* zaufi wrote on Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 06:19:28PM CET:

> I'm trying to use ltdl library in multi-threaded (POSIX threads) environment.
> Unfortunately the manual does not supply enough information on that topic.
> Can anybody please provide an example code that would load a dynamic library
> in  MT-safe way.

I don't know what libtool version you use.  Newer versions do not
recommend the contained locking functions any more, because they
did not work together with POSIX threads.

So plainly, a safe way is to use a lock to wrap all lt_* function calls
and data access.  For most uses, I would guess this to be sufficient
performance-wise.  If you need finer control: we might put a new locking
implementation in place.  But I for one would only look at it if someone
clearly showed real-world code which unearthed bottlenecks.

If all you need is documentation on how to use POSIX threads, there is
lots of decent documentation out on the web.  If you have a specific
libltdl threads related problem with your code, show example code you
have and we'll see.

Regards,