static and dynamic libraries in different path

From: Denis Corbin
Subject: static and dynamic libraries in different path
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:39:27 +0100

Hello,

How can I handle the case where the static version of a given library is not located in the same directory than its dynamic version?

Under Fedora Core 3, the "libattr.so" library resides under /lib while the "libattr.a" is placed under /usr/lib. I use autoconf to determine the path of the library. This works fine when using either static or dynamic only linking. But if both are selected (which is the default for my prog), the static linking fails because the library is not found at the "right" place.

I don't know where to handle the different paths between static and dynamic versions of the same library, (configure.ac file? libtool option I missed somewhere?).

Any help is welcome.

Cheers,
Denis Corbin.