Re: PGI and C++ templates

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: PGI and C++ templates
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 09:07:23 +0100

Sorry to self-followup.  Another thing came to mind:

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 05:10:31PM CET:
> * Jeff Squyres wrote on Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 01:07:11AM CET:
>
> > You must now do an extra pre-link step to instantiate all the templates
> > used in this library, putting all the library .o's on this line, and no
> > -c flag.
*snip*

> Similar question: do we have to know which objects need
> prelink/contain/use templates?  How about subdirs: which are the
> important ones?
>
> What happens if templates are not used at all?
>
> At which time is Template.dir populated (and which dir, in the case of
> subdir-objects)?  Is is maybe possible to specify the Template.dir with
> another parameter (this might be necessary in special cases only)?
>
> > Achive or build the shared library as before, except you must include
> > the new hidden templates in the Template.dir directory:
> >
> > $ ar qv lib_mylib.a Template.dir/*.o file1.o file2.o etc.

At the moment, Template.dir/ is not cleaned by `make clean'.  This
should be done, I'm not sure whether by Automake rules or by Libtool.

What happens if you have source files which used to provide/use
templates, but no longer do so, but still have objects lying around in
Template.dir/, which now get erroneously added to the static/shared
archive?

What about objects in Template.dir/ which do not belong to the current
link at all (because they belong in a different library)?  Do we have
to know the names of all objects from Template.dir/*.o to use or can
we just add all of them without problems?  Remember we may not be
allowed to add exported symbols to the library as that will destroy
runtime (in the case of shared linking) or program-link-time (in the
case of static linking) link order.

Regards,