Re: PGI and C++ templates

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: PGI and C++ templates
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:16:30 -0500

On Mar 7, 2005, at 3:07 AM, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

Achive or build the shared library as before, except you must include
the new hidden templates in the Template.dir directory:

$ ar qv lib_mylib.a Template.dir/*.o file1.o file2.o etc.

At the moment, Template.dir/ is not cleaned by `make clean'.  This
should be done, I'm not sure whether by Automake rules or by Libtool.

But this has always been a problem, right? (i.e., not just with the PGI compilers)

I've long since added my own m4 to my configure scripts to see if the C++ compiler uses a template subdirectory, and if so, add it to CLEANFILES.

Has something changed that I no longer need to do this?

What happens if you have source files which used to provide/use
templates, but no longer do so, but still have objects lying around in
Template.dir/, which now get erroneously added to the static/shared
archive?

This is definitely a problem. :-\

I always just took care to run "make clean" or manually remove the template subdirs in those cases. If AM/LT/somebody could take of this for me, that would be fantastic.

What about objects in Template.dir/ which do not belong to the current
link at all (because they belong in a different library)?  Do we have
to know the names of all objects from Template.dir/*.o to use or can
we just add all of them without problems?  Remember we may not be
allowed to add exported symbols to the library as that will destroy
runtime (in the case of shared linking) or program-link-time (in the
case of static linking) link order.

Hmm. Good question. I guess one option here may be to use the --instantiation_dir switch to have a different "Template.dir" (so to speak) for each target library...? I'm not quite sure how that would work, though, because AM would be the one with this knowledge (i.e., know which source files belong to which library) -- I don't know how AM would pass this information down to LT [in a clean manner]...

--
{+} Jeff Squyres
{+} address@hidden