Re: Speeding up libtool

From: Tor Lillqvist
Subject: Re: Speeding up libtool
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:32:41 +0200

Ralf Wildenhues writes:
 > Linking is a problem, though: shell wrappers break,

I have never liked (or understood...) libtool's shell wrappers or its
relinking on Win32. I always use --disable-static, I always run a
"make install", and make sure the bin directory of the installation
location is in my PATH, before any "make check". And I always comment
out the "need_relink=yes" in any ltmain.sh that I come across ;-) This
means shell wrappers won't be produced.  Or am I completely confused?

 > How much is the actual speedup in numbers?

Very significant. I don't have my old machine (450 MHz PIII running
Win2k) around any longer, but libtool-cache made it feel like a
totally new machine. A rough guess would five times faster builds of
stuff like GLib or GTK.

--tml