Re: Should libtool link in libgcc when building a shared library?

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: Should libtool link in libgcc when building a shared library?
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 15:25:05 -0800 (PST)

> From: Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden>
>
> >From the beginning, libtool took the approach that it knew best.  It
> would glean the list of libraries that the compiler would supply,
> extend the list, and then do the link using the system linker.
>
> More recently, libtool has started to change its approach.  For C++,
> linking is already done using the compiler.  I believe that this has
> started to change for C as well.  It is a gradual process since care
> must be taken to not break something which already works.

But when it uses the C++ compiler (and that compiler is GNU g++), does
it also use -nostdlib?  It looks to me like it does, but I could be
wrong.  I.e.  I look at the file libtool.m4 from libtool 1.5.10, and I
see:

  # Check if GNU C++ uses GNU ld as the underlying linker, since the
  # archiving commands below assume that GNU ld is being used.
  if test "$with_gnu_ld" = yes; then
    _LT_AC_TAGVAR(archive_cmds, $1)='$CC -shared -nostdlib $predep_objects
$libobjs $deplibs $postdep_objects $compiler_flags ${wl}-soname $wl$soname -o
$lib'

It uses the compiler to link but it also uses -nostdlib and so we are
not using the compiler to automatically link in any libraries.  It is
the use of -nostdlib that I am most interested in.  Will that usage
continue?

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden