F9x and unsupported FC

From: Norman Gray
Subject: F9x and unsupported FC
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:51:17 +0000

Greetings,

I found Gary Kumfert's message <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2004-12/msg00213.html>, in which he says

Why did support for FC disappear from libtool.m4 in my
"upgrade" from 1.5.4 to 1.5.10?

Aha!  This would be why I can't use F9x compilers with libtool, then...

Ralf Wildenhues explained, later in that thread, that FC support hadn't ever been part of libtool, and that the Fortran maintainer had had to withdraw. Echoing Gary, this is indeed a pity, especially as the F77 interface is semi-deprecated in autoconf, in favour of the FC one (this _is_ what we're talking about, isn't it?).

Gary (if you're still on this list): could I get a copy of the FC support you patched in?

More generally: if Gary's fixes work OK, can they potentially go into the libtool distribution (paperwork permitting) without there necessarily being a formal Fortran Maintainer In Chief? I don't feel I could volunteer for this, but also I don't much want to maintain a branched local version (I have enough headaches with a local automake!).

Best wishes,

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk