Re: libtool wants to install LIBRARY.lai, but it doesn't exist

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool wants to install LIBRARY.lai, but it doesn't exist
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:29:23 +0200

Hi Marc,

* Marc Singer wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:38:53AM CEST:
> In the ltmain.m4 script, there is this code

You mean ltmain.sh, right?

* Marc Singer wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 02:26:27AM CEST:
> I've found another part of the puzzle.  The output file isn't
> generated because install_libdir is blank.  It's hard to tell what it
> should be because the declaration looks like this:
>
>      install_libdir="$2"
>
> Still digging...

It'd be nice to know
- the exact libtool version used
- a small test case to reproduce the behavior (esp. Makefile.am snippet)
- which of the details above trigger the behavior
  (does the fact that you are cross-compiling do this?)
- a `--debug' output of the `--mode=link' step of the library
- `$(TOP)/scripts/config.guess`
- contents of autogen.sh if that does fancy stuff other than a
  autoreconf.

I need to remark that cross-compile support in Libtool is suboptimal
ATM.  We want to change that, but it will take quite a bit of work.

Regards,