Re: libtool wants to install LIBRARY.lai, but it doesn't exist

From: Marc Singer
Subject: Re: libtool wants to install LIBRARY.lai, but it doesn't exist
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:10:15 -0800

On Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 08:29:23AM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> * Marc Singer wrote on Thu, Mar 31, 2005 at 12:38:53AM CEST:
> > In the ltmain.m4 script, there is this code
>
> You mean ltmain.sh, right?

It gets moved to .m4, yeah.  That's the one.

> It'd be nice to know
> - the exact libtool version used

1.5.6

> - a small test case to reproduce the behavior (esp. Makefile.am snippet)
> - which of the details above trigger the behavior
>   (does the fact that you are cross-compiling do this?)
> - a `--debug' output of the `--mode=link' step of the library
> - `$(TOP)/scripts/config.guess`
> - contents of autogen.sh if that does fancy stuff other than a
>   autoreconf.

It turns out that the problem is kinda subtle.

> I need to remark that cross-compile support in Libtool is suboptimal
> ATM.  We want to change that, but it will take quite a bit of work.

I've noticed.  :-)

What's happening is that I'm building on a machine that has some of
the target libraries already built.  In some cases, the build of a
library will put the /usr/lib version in the .la file of the
cross-built package.  I've not spent much time figuring out the exact
circumstances that make that happen.

By making sure that all of the .la files are proper, I've eliminated
the error.  Part of the trouble is that I want to build with the
prefix as /usr so that the packages can install correctly.  As yet,
this may be something I have to relinquish.  It's kindofa nuisance
because libtool/autotools pass an -rpath $(libdir) for the linking
phase which means that the local system's libraries are always
available.

The one thing that would help straight away would be a way to get the
autotools to put 'set -x' in libtool.  I've been doing it by hand.
It's been the only effect method of debugging.

To be plain, the autotools are a significant challenge to debug.

cheers.