Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...

From: Bill Northcott
Subject: Re: totally confused by versioning system of libtool...
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:14:53 +1000

On 15/05/2005, at 1:57 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
I have so far only found one GNU libtool packages which correctly versions its libraries on MacOS X. This is R and they seem to do it with code in Makefile.in which overrides the libtool versioning.

Looks like R builds a framework on darwin and uses install_name_tool to encode the full path, as the library's install_name (soname), so the library ends up being something like: install_name /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2/Resources/ lib/lib
compatibility_version 2
current_version 2.1

Please read the libtool versioning information, man 1 ld, and <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ MachOTopics/Articles/loading_code.html> (alternatively <http:// tinyurl.com/a376e>).

I read this again before that last post.

Bill