how to use the --tag parameter with libtool in my automake file?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: how to use the --tag parameter with libtool in my automake file?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 14:02:11 -0600

Hello,

My library is hitting a libtool problem on Suns.

I have some fortran 77 code, and my configure selects Suns f95
compiler, which compiles F77 code as well. But the link fails:

/bin/bash ../libtool --mode=link f95  -g  -L../libsrc  -o nf_test
test_get.o test_put.o  nf_error.o nf_test.o test_read.o  \
test_write.o util.o fortlib.o -lnetcdf -lm
libtool: link: unable to infer tagged configuration
libtool: link: specify a tag with `--tag'
*** Error code 1

The command works if I use --tag=f77 as a libtool option, but where in
my automake files can I specify a libtool option like --tag=f77?

Is there some way to specify libtool parameters like --tag in the
makefile? Actually I can't seem to find any documentation of --tag at
all.

Thanks for any info!

Ed
--