Re: ksh bug on Tru64 UNIX causes current libtool failure

From: Norman Gray
Subject: Re: ksh bug on Tru64 UNIX causes current libtool failure
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:33:05 +0200

Tim,

On 2005 Jun 2 , at 17.50, Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: ksh bug on Tru64 UNIX causes current libtool failure,...:

Oooh yes; oh yes indeedy. I've come to the conclusion that if your application builds on Tru64 and OS X, then it'll build just about anywhere.

I'm surprised by this comment.  Tru64 has a more common C API than say
AIX or IRIX, and I think HP-UX has only recently caught up some.  I've
always found it easier to port to Tru64 than the aforementioned platforms.

I can't speak for Ralf, but for me Tru64 has always been useful because it has an agreeably bad-tempered set of C and Fortran compilers, which stamp their feet and sulk at almost any sort of non-standard behaviour, along with a slightly quixotic set of C headers, which test how well my code is conditionalised for portability.

Alphas also have a store-0 rounding mode by default, which tests another category of portability problems. But this is perhaps drifting a little off-topic for the libtool list.

All the best,

Norman

Norman Gray  :  Physics & Astronomy, Glasgow University, UK
http://www.astro.gla.ac.uk/users/norman/  :  www.starlink.ac.uk