is this a correct use for convenience libraries?

From: Ed Hartnett
Subject: is this a correct use for convenience libraries?
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:25:53 -0600

Howdy all!

I have a question about convenience libraries.

I have a library which, depending on configure option
--enable-netcdf-4, will build my library with, or (by default) without
a bunch of radical new features.

The idea is that only very interested users need build the new
features, and Joe Sixpack can just build without them, and never
notice them.

If Joe Sixpack builds my app, he builds the classic library in one
subdirectory.

If an interested user uses --enable-netcdf-4, then he gets the classic
library, built as a convenience library, and then the new library, with
the convenience library included. In other words, both libraries are
included in the final result.

This seemed to work well, until I tried porting to an AIX.

On the AIX, the convenience library doesn't seem to make it into the
final output.

Which made me wonder if I were using convenience libraries in a way
that was sensible in the libtool universe.

Thanks,

Ed
--
Ed Hartnett  -- address@hidden