Re: FYI: ksh bug on Tru64 UNIX causes current libtool failure

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: FYI: ksh bug on Tru64 UNIX causes current libtool failure
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:31:22 +0200

* Nicolas Joly wrote on Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 01:27:25PM CEST:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:35:00PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> > * Nicolas Joly wrote on Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 12:10:47PM CEST:
> > >
> > > In the mean time, i tested the solution where `print -r' and `ksh'
> > > tests are swapped (attached patch). It seems to go a little further
> > > (no more `print' error messages), but seems to fail in another ksh
> > > problem/bug :

[ which ends in a segmentation fault. ]

> > Please rerun the libtool command line with --debug and post output,
> > you may pack (gzip, bzip2).
>
> libtool.dbg.bz2 attached.

OK, let's cut this testing a little short.  It seems that Tru64 fails to
provide any decent kind of shell for its users.

I consider just putting a note about Tru64 into README (branch-1-5)
resp. doc/notes.texi (HEAD).   Proposal would be one of the following
(whichever works and passes the test suite):

| Note that Tru64 V5.1B ksh has some bugs which make it hardly useable for
| libtoolized packages.  Please set
|   BIN_SH=xpg4; export BIN_SH
| in your environment for configuring and building.

| Note that Tru64 V5.1B ksh has some bugs which make it hardly useable for
| libtoolized packages.  Please set
|   lt_ECHO='printf %s\\n'; export lt_ECHO
| in your environment for configuring and building.

(s/lt_ECHO/ECHO/g for branch-1-5).

What do you think?  Which one?  Could one of the Tru64 users be bothered
to send a bug report to HP?

Regards, and thanks for all your testing,