Re: Fortran 90/95 (FC) support

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Fortran 90/95 (FC) support
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:09:43 +0200

* Ralf Wildenhues wrote on Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 12:24:00AM CEST:

> - `ifort -static' is falsely detected as broken, because it shows
>   link-warnings.

To put this into perspective:

| $ cat a.f
|       program foo
|       end
| $ ifort -static -blabla -o a a.f
| ifort: Command line warning: ignoring unknown option '-blabla'
| /opt/intel_fc_80/lib/libifcore.a(for_open_proc.o)(.text+0x3826): In function
`for__compute_filename':
| : warning: Using 'getpwnam' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
| /opt/intel_fc_80/lib/libifcore.a(for_open_proc.o)(.text+0x3909): In function
`for__compute_filename':
| : warning: Using 'getpwuid' in statically linked applications requires at
runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
| $ echo $?
| 0

Frankly, this compiler suite just sucks.  It's the most prominent
(only?) set of compilers that both
 a) don't fail but only warn when given an option they don't recognize
 b) spit out a warning for linking a trivial example.

Naturally, regular linking against the shared libs does not fail nor
warn.  What should we do to distinguish here?
grep out '\(unknown\|unrecognized\) option'?  This would kill any other
compilers which warn only, but with a different message.
Just hardwire ifort -static here?  Or just ignore this false failure?

Regards,