Re: solaris 10: address@hidden

From: David Lee
Subject: Re: solaris 10: address@hidden
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:29:30 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* David Lee wrote on Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 07:10:59PM CEST:
Quite a few folk seem to be having trouble linking on Solaris 10.

These seem to be well-established applications, that have compiled and
linked for years on a wide range of OSes, including Solaris 8 and 9,
but something seems subtly different on Solaris 10: some interaction
amongst Solaris 10 libraries, GNU ld, libtool.  It is unclear whether this
is multiple "pilot error", of a fault in a single one of that list, or
some strange interaction.

OK.  Let's find out.

Thanks for the reply.

The last bit of my message, and your reply to it, looks like the most fruitful avenue to explore at the present time:

[...]
Grab Libtool 1.5.18, post output of `configure' run, config.log, output
of
 make check VERBOSE=x
(please bzip2 or gzip large attachments).

Show how the packages that fail are built: post the relevant
`libtool --mode=link' lines and what they output.  In case you are
unsure what is relevant, post more so relevant stuff is included in any
case.

(Incidentally: this may or may not be relevant to the above:  in my own
case, I know that our GNU ld and libtool are somewhat out-of-date.  So
I've attempted to get libtool 1.5.18 installed.  "make check" is fine on
S8, but has a failure in "mdemo2-make.test" on S10.  If someone can guide
me, I'd be happy to try to pursue this futher.)

I bet this is related, it tests dlopening.

Execute
 make check VERBOSE=x TESTS='mdemo-conf.test mdemo-make.test mdemo2-conf.test
mdemo2-make.test mdemo2-exec.test'
and post the output (This is a subset of the check above).

Just FYI for the other Libtool developers: If Solaris 10 turns out to
need a Libtool update, I can probably do one next weekend.  Blind
guessing makes me believe it's a ld bug rather than a Libtool bug, but
let's not jump to conclusions here.

Attached is the gzip output of that latter (TESTS='...').

(For those concerned about pathnames: our local convention is to have the build directory as a subdirectory (e.g. "sparc.sunos5.10") of the source directory, hence "../configure [...]". This allows us to maintain and develop and bug-test multiple-architectures from a single source tree.)

You'll also notice that our GNU/ld is old! Whilst I would be happy to upgrade this (and probably should), it would be nice first of all to attribute this particular problem to a known cause (libtool, GNU/ld, Sol10-bug or some interaction). Then similar queries can be answered along the lines of "known problem with X; take upgrade action Y".

Let me know if you want me to test patches or (pseudo-code patches).

:  Senior Systems Programmer                Computer Centre       :
:                                           Durham University     :
:                                           Durham DH1 3LE        :