Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:29:23 -0700

On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 15:53 +0530, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:

> > There is another way to solve the problem; we can change the SONAME in
> > the versioned filename varients:
>
> > Version 6 Xaw       -> libXaw6.so.6.0.1 SONAME=libXaw.so.6
> > Version 7 Xaw       -> libXaw7.so.7.0.0 SONAME=libXaw.so.7
> > Version 8 Xaw       -> libXaw8.so.8.0.0 SONAME=libXaw.so.8
>
> May be I am missing something here. Assuming you used -version-info to
> generate the libraries, libtool embeds the library SONAME with the major
> version into the library by default.

I want to change the base of the SONAME from libXaw6 to libXaw, and have
the major version only present after the .so; as far as I can tell, I
can't get libtool to do this.

I hacked libtool to set the base of the soname (which is normally
'${libname}' to libXaw and things are working correctly on Linux.

-keith