Re: Alternate SONAME values

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Alternate SONAME values
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:07:22 +0200

Hi Keith,

* Keith Packard wrote on Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:47:37AM CEST:
> On Fri, 2005-07-08 at 08:31 +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>
> > First, to stay with your GNU/Linux example, unless you also have
> > libXaw.so.6 as symlink, how will ld.so find your library (as installed
> > library; or alternatively as user-installed test version below $HOME)?
>
> The current ELF shared library mechanism in glibc uses SONAMEs
> exclusively when locating libraries. The filename is irrelevant.

No.  If a DSO with matching SONAME is already mapped, ld.so is done.
If not, it searches for a library with a file name which matches the
SONAME, unless the SONAME -> file name pair is listed in
/etc/ld.so.cache.  That's why I asked how you would work with
uninstalled or user-installed (for testing) libraries.  Please note
that "ldconfig -n" sets the appropriate symlinks which contain the
SONAMEd file name if not present.

So, you'd end up with libXaw6.la, and
  libXaw6.so.6.0.1 libXaw6.so.6 libXaw6.so libXaw.so.6
all pointing to the same file.

I might still have completely misunderstood you here -- please correct
me if I'm wrong.

Regards,