Re: branch 2.0, make install DESTDIR=

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: branch 2.0, make install DESTDIR=
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:51:14 +0200

Hi Charles,

* Charles Wilson wrote on Sun, Jul 10, 2005 at 08:46:26PM CEST:
> is broken -- at least on cygwin, but probably everywhere.
*snip*
> tar: configure: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> tar: configure: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
> chown -R root
> /usr/src/libtool/devel/CVS/libtool-b2.0/.inst/usr/local/share/libt
>                        ool/libltdl && \
> chgrp -R root
> /usr/src/libtool/devel/CVS/libtool-b2.0/.inst/usr/local/share/libt
>                        ool/libltdl || :
> chown: `root': invalid user

> chmod +x
> /usr/src/libtool/devel/CVS/libtool-b2.0/.inst/usr/local/share/libtool/config.guess
> chmod: cannot access
> `/usr/src/libtool/devel/CVS/libtool-b2.0/.inst/usr/local/share/libtool/config.guess':
>
> No such file or directory

> (A) cross-platform?  There is no configure script in $SRCDIR/libltdl --
> although there is a configure.ac.  This looks like some disagreement
> over whether libltdl is a sub-configure'd project or configured directly
> as part of the overall libtool's configure.

I know.  This has been broken for quite a while.  There is a pending
patch by Gary to fix this, which is why I did not suggest a change of my
own.  Unfortunately, it has been pending for quite a while.
It should not be a cause for `make install' failure, though.

> (B) cygwin-specific: There is no root user.  There might be a SYSTEM
> user which is somewhat similar, and Administrator which is somewhat
> similar in other ways -- but regardless there is no facility to do CHOWN
> unless you're building as Administrator (not SYSTEM).  Basically, this
> whole chown idea in libtool's installation is fscked-up w.r.t. cygwin.

OK.  Does `id -u' tell you whether you are SYSTEM (id 0?) or not?
What would be an appropriate solution for cygwin?

Please also note that discussion about how to resolve this best is still
going on[1].  I'm sorry that this caught you.  It should not have been
the cause for the installation failure (except for the annoying but
harmless warning messages), though.

> (C) ${instdir}/usr/local/share/libtool/config.guess doesn't exist
> because it's actually called
> ${instdir}/usr/local/share/libtool/config/config.guess

ACK.  Similarly as in (A), there is a patch pending.  This should be the
root cause of the failure of `make install'.

> Does anybody TEST this stuff before checking it in?

Yes, I do test almost all of my patches.  There are more things broken
in branch-2-0 -- you will notice that the installed `libtoolize' does
not work either, because of the same issue, same pending fix.

Gary: if you would like me to propose a patch for (C) while you are
working on your patch, I can do so -- but only today.  I'll be without
net access for a few weeks with few exceptions.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-libtool/2005-07/msg00001.html