Re: Fix ltdl files installation (was: branch 2.0, make install DESTDIR=)

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Fix ltdl files installation (was: branch 2.0, make install DESTDIR=)
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 17:33:39 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 05:19:47PM CEST:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >OK.  Let's just install them in the correct order.  libtoolize can still
> >use the `tar' pipe to keep the time stamps on the way from the
> >installatinon dir to the user package source tree.
> >
> >Proposed patch OK for branch-1-5?  Unfortunately, the forward ports will
> >need more work.
>
> The patch looks much better than the 'chown -R root' junk that it
> replaces.

Thanks, also to Peter.

I was unsure whether libtoolize should be changed to copy in order as
well (and _not_ preserve time stamps).  A `libtoolize --copy --force'
would then assure that copied files are newer than any other files in
the existing source tree, which may or may not matter for other build
rules not under libltdl's control.  Does anybody think this is worth-
while?

> Files should always be installed using the effective UID of the user
> doing the install (not necessarily root).

Actually, from the experience gained with this issue, I would go a step
further and state that any installation should make use of the Automake-
created $(INSTALL) and other macros.  This is a very important issue
from the point of user flexibility -- the package author just cannot
anticipate all the peculiarities of the specific system environment.

> The only exception would be for programs which need to be installed
> SUID to a particular user in order to function.

Agreed.