libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59

From: Howard Chu
Subject: libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 20:02:23 -0700

I know that autoconf 2.13 generated the help text for AC_ARG_ENABLE and AC_ARG_WITH in the order in which they appeared in the configure.in file, but now I'm working with autoconf 2.59 and it appears to collect all AC_ARG_ENABLE text into one group, followed by all the AC_ARG_WITH options in a separate group. So in 2.13, where my configure --help shows

####
Library Generation & Linking Options
  --enable-static[=PKGS]  build static libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]  build shared libraries [default=yes]
--enable-fast-install[=PKGS] optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
  --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)
--with-pic try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use both]
####

With autoconf 2.59 I get

####
Library Generation & Linking Options
  --enable-static[=PKGS]
                          build static libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-shared[=PKGS]
                          build shared libraries [default=yes]
  --enable-fast-install[=PKGS]
                          optimize for fast installation [default=yes]
  --disable-dependency-tracking  speeds up one-time build
  --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors
  --disable-libtool-lock  avoid locking (might break parallel builds)

Optional Packages:
  --with-PACKAGE[=ARG]    use PACKAGE [ARG=yes]
  --without-PACKAGE       do not use PACKAGE (same as --with-PACKAGE=no)
  --with-subdir=DIR       change default subdirectory used for installs
  --with-cyrus-sasl       with Cyrus SASL support auto
  --with-fetch            with fetch(3) URL support auto
  --with-threads          with threads auto
  --with-tls              with TLS/SSL support auto
  --with-yielding-select  with implicitly yielding select auto
  --with-multiple-precision
                          multiple precision support for statistics
                          auto|bignum|gmp auto
  --with-gnu-ld           assume the C compiler uses GNU ld [default=no]
  --with-pic              try to use only PIC/non-PIC objects [default=use
                          both]
  --with-tags[=TAGS]
                          include additional configurations [automatic]
####

I find this rather disturbing because it totally breaks up the logical grouping of options that we try to create in our scripts. I'm still reading the autoconf 2.59 document to see if there's a macro to control this behavior, but in the meantime one fix would be to change libtool's AC_ARG_WITH invocations into AC_ARG_ENABLE instead. Since the autoconf behavior appears to reserve AC_ARG_WITH solely for specifying external packages, instead of for specifying options, this would seem to be the correct fix. Any thoughts?

--
  -- Howard Chu