Re: libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool AC_ARG_WITH and autoconf 2.59
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 07:13:24 +0200

* Howard Chu wrote on Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 05:02:23AM CEST:
> I know that autoconf 2.13 generated the help text for AC_ARG_ENABLE and
> AC_ARG_WITH in the order in which they appeared in the configure.in
> file, but now I'm working with autoconf 2.59 and it appears to collect
> all AC_ARG_ENABLE text into one group, followed by all the AC_ARG_WITH
> options in a separate group. So in 2.13, where my configure --help shows
*snip*

> With autoconf 2.59 I get
*snip*

> I find this rather disturbing because it totally breaks up the logical
> grouping of options that we try to create in our scripts. I'm still
> reading the autoconf 2.59 document to see if there's a macro to control
> this behavior, but in the meantime one fix would be to change libtool's
> AC_ARG_WITH invocations into AC_ARG_ENABLE instead. Since the autoconf
> behavior appears to reserve AC_ARG_WITH solely for specifying external
> packages, instead of for specifying options, this would seem to be the
> correct fix. Any thoughts?

Well, if you change Libtool's AC_ARG_WITH to AC_ARG_ENABLE, you are
breaking compatibility gratitously.  Not very nice.
(Note that in CVS HEAD these options are broken ATM anyway, but that's
a different matter, and orthogonal.)

How about an Autoconf option/macro to not sort these?

Cheers.