CVS branch-2-0 R.I.P.

From: Gary V. Vaughan
Subject: CVS branch-2-0 R.I.P.
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 13:10:26 +0100

Fellow Libtoolers (if you're reading, that means you!),

I still have reservations, but am otherwise somewhat convinced that
dropping development of branch-2-0 in favour of HEAD is a reasonable thing
to do at this juncture.  Unless someone yells to the contrary real soon
now, I see no reason to continue to maintain branch-2-0 from here on in.

In due course, I think it is fine to release 2.0 from HEAD (or a new
release branch from future trunk HEAD to be precise) even with known
minor bugs, provided that we list them in the release announcement.  In
order to speed the release, and in the spirit of "release early, release
often", I say we identify the actual showstoppers, and release 1.9h from
HEAD with just those fixed.  There is a list of showstoppers on my wiki
at http://tkd.kicks-ass.net/GnuLibtoolProject/RoadMap.

If 1.9h is well received, I believe we should release 2.0 soon after
(minor bugs and all), and then work on the remaining regressions for a
quick 2.0.2.  In order to prevent any further slippage, until 2.0.2 is
out there we should reject all patches, and commit changes only for:

 - bugs
 - regressions
 - documentation
 - testsuite improvements
 - and maybe MSVC support, iff we can confine changes to this system.

Speak now, or forever hold your peace.

Cheers,
    Gary.
--