Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries

From: Howard Chu
Subject: Re: libtool 1.5 -static and installed libraries
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:34:17 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hi Howard, Alexandre, others,

* Howard Chu wrote on Sun, Aug 28, 2005 at 10:19:03PM CEST:
We just migrated from libtool-1.4.3 to 1.5.18 in the OpenLDAP CVS HEAD, and are seeing a new linking problem.

You've migrated *already*?  :-)

This was actually our 2nd or 3rd attempt. Now that we've gotten off of autoconf 2.13.1 we may be able to move a little faster from now on. ;) (Hey, Cyrus SASL still ships with libtool 1.3.5.......)

So the question is, why does linking with -static cause libtool to behave like -all-static was used, why does it ignore the installed status of the libraries?

(You also sent a patch to change this behavior to match the current,
i.e., both branch-1-5 and CVS HEAD, documentation).

Now while your patch looks ok at a glance, I'm unsure whether what is
wanted by users is what the documentation says or what the current code
does.  See for example this discussion between Akim and Alexandre about
the issue:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-01/msg00350.html

Yes, I read through that discussion but it seemed to be a fairly special case. It didn't make any sense to me, really - requesting a static link, while requesting that no static libraries be built...

Something I didn't test properly yet is what happens if the executable needs to be relinked at install time. Since the just-built libraries will most likely be installed before the exe is relinked, it seems to me it may foul up. (But my SuSE system didn't need relinking; will have to try again on a different platform to see.)

Should we discuss this and decide about what's best?  Maybe we'd need
another switch to link statically against all non-system libs (in the
sense that libc is one, but libdb is not)?  Or would implementing per-
deplib static/shared switches be the only solution?

That may work best, though it sounds tedious. A lot of linkers allow -static/-dynamic to be specified multiple times on a command line, toggling the choice until the next switch occurs in the options.

--
  -- Howard Chu