Wondering if libtool can be adapted, ported, or used to solve my problem

From: Travis Spencer
Subject: Wondering if libtool can be adapted, ported, or used to solve my problem
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:02:15 -0700

Hi All,

I am working on a research project at Portland State University that
involves writing an application that will build its user's source code
and gather a lot of information about the build process and host
environment.  A partial list of information that I'm trying to gather
includes the following:

* The compiler(s) used
* The name of the resulting executable(s), its permissions, GID, UID, etc.
* The libraries (static and/or dynamic) linked in during the build process
* The names, version, and vendor of various other tool used to
complete the compilations (e.g., linker, assembler, preprocessor,
etc.)
* A snapshot of the environment variables defined during the compilation
* The time that the compilation was done
* Information about the build host (e.g., CPU, OS, amount of RAM, etc.)

(A lengthier list of the requirements is online at
http://www.travisspencer.com/stash2/projects/perftrack/buildreqs.pdf.)

Like any good OSS developer, I'm trying to find an application that
can already do something similar in hopes that I can adapting it to
suit my needs.  It seems that libtool may be a good candidate, but I'm
not very familiar with it.  I'm hoping that those on this list who are
can tell me if its worth more investigation.

In section 5.3 of the libtool manual, it says "Libtool requires
intimate knowledge of your compiler suite and operating system in
order to be able to create shared libraries and link against them
properly."  That is basically the information I need: intimate
knowledge about the compilers, OS and libraries used to build a user's
code.

I can't make many assumptions about the build environment because my
application needs to run on numerous OSes (Solaris, Linux, AIX, and
more), must support multiple compilers (gcc, Forte, Intel, PGI, MPI,
etc.), and needs to know information about static and dynamic
libraries which (as you all know) are handled differently on some of
these OSes.  The great number of factors and unknowns is very
overwhelming.  Somehow libtool manages it though.  Do you think it can
help me overcome these obstacles too?

If you need more info or if I wasn't clear enough in my explanation,
please let me know, and I'll try to clarify.

Thanks all for your time and help.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer

P.S. There is also some more info about what I'm trying to do on this
thread: http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug-devel/2005q3/000189.html