Re: Use of compiler_lib_search_path when cross-compiling

From: Marc Singer
Subject: Re: Use of compiler_lib_search_path when cross-compiling
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 19:06:13 -0700

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 08:57:24PM -0500, Albert Chin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:22:03PM -0700, Marc Singer wrote:
> > [ snip snip ]
> >
> > So, the question is this.  Do I need to build a special version of
> > libtool for cross compiling which is separate from the version used to
> > build native packages?
>
> Yes. However, libtool is usually part of the native package build
> process so it gets customized to whatever flags used during the build.
> It's generally a bad idea to use the installed libtool unless you're
> using the same flags used to build the installed libtool.

No.  I'm not using the installed libtool.  I'm building it as part of
the cross-development environment.  Now, I know that I have to build
two version: one for native packages and one for cross-compiled
packages.

> You could also LDFLAGS="-L[path you your cross-compiled libs]" and
> libtool should look in LDFLAGS first.

I don't think that's the problem.  What's happenng is libtool is
pulling host's standard libraries (e.g. libstdc++) instead of the
cross-compiler versions.  So, I considered doing as you suggest, but
it seems like a nasty hack, especially because I don't have any way of
knowing which libraries it's going to try to pull.  Building a cross
targeted libtool means that the packages that use it don't have to be
aware of this problem..

Cheers.