Re: libtool problem:cannot build libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool problem:cannot build libtool
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:14:15 +0200

Hi Sharad,

Please keep the mailing list copied, thank you.

* sharad wrote on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 02:44:22PM CEST:

> From: "Ralf Wildenhues" <address@hidden>
> > * sharad wrote on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 01:16:40PM CEST:
> > >
> > >  I've cross-compiled RPM (red hat package manager) using
> > >  mipsel-linux-gcc.The compilation seems to be OK with some
> > >  warnings.But at the end of compilation following error shoots up:

> The libtool version is libtool-1.4.3-5.

That's pretty old.  You should try updating it, but it may not be
trivial in this case.  You could also ask the maintainers to use a more
recent Libtool.

> Also the configuration was like
>
> ./configure --prefix=/home/sharad/rpm2/rpm-4.1/rpmmips --host = mips32
> CC=mipsel-linux-gcc CXX=mipsel-linux-gcc.

Most likely you should have used just

  ./configure --prefix=/home/sharad/rpm2/rpm-4.1/rpmmips --host=mipsel-linux

Then the configure script should find the correct $CC and $CXX itself, I
believe.

> It created the makefile in rpm directory with correct options but did not
> reflect in other directories having depencies like db3,python. So i had to
> manually change each makefile in the subdirectories for CC,CXX,AR and RANLIB
> option.

Hmm.  I can't say anything about this; that's probably due to RPM using
old versions of Autoconf (and possibly Automake) as well.  Most likely
the RPM maintainers can help you more.