Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 17:52:58 +0200

Hi Jacob,

* Jacob Meuser wrote on Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 01:38:09PM CEST:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 10:45:40PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > OK, but this is exactly one thing libtool was designed to do for you:
> > keep track of the libraries you also have to link against; it should
> > have added -lstdc++ to _xapian.la's dependency_libs.
>
> IIRC, the problem was that we ended up with multiple "-lstdc++"s
> in the actual link commands which caused errors.  The dups happen
> because libtool checks to see what the linker will add, and then
> explicitly adds that stuff, while the linker is still adding stuff
> implicitly.
>
> I believe this issue was discussed on this list actually, in the
> context of a different OS.

Are you talking about the thread before this mail?
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2005-08/msg00085.html
If so, then would a change to the linker search algorithm fix the
issues you encountered as well?

> And changing output_verbose_link_command won't fix Olly's problem
> anyway, because as Olly has shown, -lstdc++ doesn't get added by the
> linker when -shared is used.

Well, we can fix it in a different way, as Peter noted as well; the
important thing is that postdeps won't end up empty for C++.  Having it
contain -lstdc++ without the path to whereever the current libstdc++ is
it is still better than nothing in there.

Cheers, and thanks for checking this,