SYSROOT/DESTDIR (was Re: static vs. dynamic linking)

From: Howard Chu
Subject: SYSROOT/DESTDIR (was Re: static vs. dynamic linking)
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:01:22 -0700

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
We have better support for sysroot and/or DESTDIR on our TODO list.
Why don't you help us improve and fix libtool?  That is bound to be
a lot less work.

*time passes*
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool-patches/2005-06/msg00161.html
Oh, you asked before.  Why not rather fix your patch than rewrite from
scratch?

Have we got an exhaustive list of problems related to this particular issue? This is definitely a pain my side; I've been maintaining custom hacks for our own builds for a couple of years now and it's getting mighty old.

First of all, my objective - other folks may have their own objectives different than this: Build a suite of software that uses shared libraries, such that any embedded runpaths only reflect the ultimate install path (e.g. /opt/foo/lib) and not any of the build paths (e.g. ~/src/project1/blah).

So far this issue is relevant to us on AIX, HPUX, Linux, and Solaris. In all cases, it's possible to set an environment variable (LIBPATH, SHLIB_PATH, or LD_LIBRARY_PATH, respectively) to tell the runtime linker where to really look, regardless of any embedded paths. So my preferred behavior would be for build paths to never be embedded in the object files (this also eliminates any need for relinking). Since libtool will generate wrapper scripts that setup the proper environment for executables anyway, I don't see any problem with achieving this. Currently libtool tries to be "clever" and always prepends build paths to any explicitly provided -R/-rpath options, and I usually comment that bit out of libtool in our builds.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to get working, without any negative side effects.
--
  -- Howard Chu