Bug in the doc?

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Bug in the doc?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 13:56:17 +0200 (MEST)

Hi,

the info pages for libtool says

"   Shared libraries, however, may only be built from
"position-independent code" (PIC).  So, special flags must be passed to
the compiler to tell it to generate PIC rather than the standard
position-dependent code." [libtool.info.gz]

This looks wrong to me. A final program, or a final shared library, does
not care if its object files were built with or without -fpic/-fPIC. At
least this is the case on GNU/Linux and afaics {Free,Open}BSD. I maybe seen
it on the MacOS-X/Darwin too when I last tried building some on
Sourceforge CF. On Win32, -fPIC is always in effect.

Comments please.

Jan Engelhardt