Re: Bug in the doc?

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: Bug in the doc?
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:33:54 -0400

On Wednesday 28 September 2005 07:56 am, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> "   Shared libraries, however, may only be built from
> "position-independent code" (PIC).  So, special flags must be passed to
> the compiler to tell it to generate PIC rather than the standard
> position-dependent code." [libtool.info.gz]
>
> This looks wrong to me.

looks correct to me

> A final program,

the snippet you posted doesnt say anything about final programs, just shared
libraries

> or a final shared library, does
> not care if its object files were built with or without -fpic/-fPIC. At
> least this is the case on GNU/Linux and afaics {Free,Open}BSD. I maybe seen
> it on the MacOS-X/Darwin too when I last tried building some on
> Sourceforge CF. On Win32, -fPIC is always in effect.

sounds like you're testing on x86.  some architectures (like x86) will accept
non-PIC objects in shared libraries, but many (like alpha/parisc/x86_64) will
fail to even link the objects together into a shared library.
-mike