Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD

From: Olly Betts
Subject: Re: postdeps empty on OpenBSD
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 17:09:44 +0000 (UTC)

On 2005-09-28, Jacob Meuser <address@hidden> wrote:
> yes.  I work with transcode (transcoding.org), which is a C program
> that loads modules.  some modules are written in C++.  it works on
> OpenBSD with the C++ modules linked to libstdc++.  this is done
> unconditionally in the Makefile.ams with 'modfoo_la_LIBADD = -lstdc++'.
> I have not had a complaint about this method, but maybe no one's
> actually built such a module for transcode while using a non-system
> g++?

I've just investigated this (on Linux) and it looks like libtool handles
specifying -lstdc++ in LIBADD much better (I was using specifying it
using "make LDFLAGS=-lstdc++" which is wrong now I come to think of it).
Only one -lstdc++ appears in the actual link command, and it's after the
correct -L.  I need to test further but I think this will avoid problems
with non-system GCC installations.

It needs to be conditionalised on using GCC, but that's easy to do in
configure as it already knows.  It'll not cope with other compilers on
platforms that might need this but I'm not aware of any currently.

So I'm happier now, though I still tend to think libtool should just
take care of this.  Otherwise it's a trap waiting to catch anyone
creating such modules - it'll all work fine until someone tries it on
OpenBSD.  If this isn't addressed in the libtool code, a brief
discussion of the issue in the manual would be useful.

Cheers,
    Olly