Re: mode=link and full path to dependent shared library?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: mode=link and full path to dependent shared library?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 08:58:17 +0200

Hi Tim,

* Tim Mooney wrote on Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:46:48AM CEST:

> Can someone point me to the place in the docs that explains libtool's
> handling of --mode=link when a dependent shared library is specified by
> full path?  I'm having trouble finding it.

I believe it's not documented (and not `defined behavior').
Somebody with more Libtool experience please correct me.

> I'm talking about a situation like this:
>
> /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link cxx  -some_compiler_flags -o
> libfoo.la -rpath /path/to/lib -version-info 16:3:1 -no-undefined foo.lo
> bar.lo baz.lo /path/to/lib/libdep.so -llib2 -lc -rpath /path/to/lib

> libtool should be creating libfoo.la (and both shared and archive libfoo
> libraries) and should be linking against /path/to/lib/libdep.so, but it's
> eliding the /path/to/lib/libdep.so from the shared library creation line.
> I'm just trying to find where this behavior is discussed, so I can
> understand why it's doing that.

Can you use `-L/path/to/lib -ldep' instead, given that libdep is not
part of the package, or maybe `/path/to/lib/libdep.la' if it's a libtool
library?

I'm pretty sure there is a libtool bug lingering here, but also have a
vague feeling that passing this argument to the linker unmodified does
not have the same effect on all systems.  At least the path hardcoding
semantics vary, but maybe taking advantage of this is your intention?