Re: linking dll against static libs

From: joerg . faschingbauer
Subject: Re: linking dll against static libs
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 21:07:52 +0200 (CEST)

>>>>> "Elmar" == Elmar Rudigier <address@hidden> writes:

Elmar> Hi!
Elmar> I'm building a dll for jni, which has dependencies to some, with libtool
static
Elmar> builded, libs. I'm using cccl as compiler.

Elmar> For win32 libtool prohibits linking shared libs against static libs and
i get
Elmar> following messages
Elmar> ...
Elmar> *** Warning: This system can not link to static lib archive
Elmar> /wamas/test/jni/WX/cccl/lib/libwx-entitycontainer_filter.la.
Elmar> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
Elmar> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
Elmar> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.
Elmar> ...

Elmar> But if i exclude the test from libtool, that libtool isn't comlpaining
about,
Elmar> cl.exe can link the dll against the static libs and this dll can be
loaded
Elmar> without problems from java.

Elmar> So, why libtool prohibits this linking.

When you inadvertently build two DLLs that each contain a copy of the
same static library, then you are begging for trouble. Before gcc 3,
for example, this was the case for shared C++ libraries which each
brought its own copy of libgcc.a into the executable.

I believe this common user error (and the entailed support requests)
lead the libtool developers to introducing the check you are talking
about. If I'm right, then how about a flag, say,
-i-know-what-im-doing?

Btw, what is the story behind -no-undefined?

Joerg