Re: mode=link and full path to dependent shared library?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: mode=link and full path to dependent shared library?
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:50:49 +0200

Hi Tim, Albert,

* Tim Mooney wrote on Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 10:27:11PM CEST:
> In regard to: Re: mode=link and full path to dependent shared library?,...:
>
> >>I'm talking about a situation like this:
> >>
> >>/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link cxx  -some_compiler_flags -o
> >>libfoo.la -rpath /path/to/lib -version-info 16:3:1 -no-undefined foo.lo
> >>bar.lo baz.lo /path/to/lib/libdep.so -llib2 -lc -rpath /path/to/lib
> >>
> >>libtool should be creating libfoo.la (and both shared and archive libfoo
> >>libraries) and should be linking against /path/to/lib/libdep.so, but it's
> >>eliding the /path/to/lib/libdep.so from the shared library creation line.

> >Does the below fix it for you?

Doesn't that patch break other libtool instances which do not have it?
(i.e.: libfoo.la will contain `/path/to/libintl.so' in dependency_libs,
but libtool's without your patch will refuse to read the .la file)
Untested due to time constraints, sorry.

> Yes, it does.  With your patch, there are no changes to output in the
> libtool test suite on Tru64 (so it didn't break anything that the tests
> catch), and libtool no longer removes /local/gnu/lib/libintl.so from the
> link for GNU libaspell.so.
>
> Thanks for the patch, it appears to be exactly what I needed!

Hmm.  Is there a /local/gnu/lib/libintl.la file?  If so, shouldn't
lib-link be producing that as deplib instead?  I.e., aspell should be
using the value of LTLIBINTL instead, I believe.