Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: AM_FCFLAGS not working as I expect...
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 23:09:34 +0100

Hi Ed,

* Ed Hartnett wrote on Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:43:43PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I forgot one thing: If you're trying to use libtool with the FC (Fortran
> > 90/95) interface, you are likely to have to go through hoops with
> > libtool-1.5.x, since it doesn't support it.  Current CVS Libtool, which
> > will hopefully soon be Libtool-2.0, does support FC.
>
> I am now using 1.5.20 everywhere, which is the most recent release, I
> believe.

Right.  With automake version are you using?

> >> I am getting make distcheck working in the hopes that by doing so, I
> >> might in some way fix my libtool problems on AIX.
> >
> > Show the issues, please.
>
> Here it is, still can't get f95 code to compile...

> /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile xlf90 -I../libsrc -I. -g -c -o
> typeSizes.lo  typeSizes.f90
> libtool: compile: unable to infer tagged configuration
> libtool: compile: specify a tag with `--tag'

> The Makefile.am does include:

> .f90.lo:
>         $(LTFCCOMPILE) -c -o $@ $(FCFLAGS_f90) $<
>
> as you suggested. Unfortunately, that didn't seem to help libtools tag
> problem.

If you use both $F77 and $FC in your package (which I believe you do),
the right thing would be to wait for Libtool-2.0 which has proper FC
support and is due pretty soon (I hope).

Meanwhile, you can try this workaround, in the hope that $F77 and $FC
have very similar ways of functioning (untested):

LTFCCOMPILE = $(LIBTOOL) --tag=F77 $(AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS) $(LIBTOOLFLAGS) \
        --mode=compile $(FC) $(AM_FCFLAGS) $(FCFLAGS)

I bet the same thing won't work for linking, though.. :-/

Can you wait a little bit?  We're really working through the final bits
now.