Re: unable to infer tagged configuration

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: unable to infer tagged configuration
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:10:25 +0000

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:47:20AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> after this line in the makefile output:
> ./libtool --mode=link g++-3.3 -o test1 -g AbstractTimeStepsGenerator.o
> Narrowly, can anyone shed any light on the errors reported at the top?

the generated libtool has a different CXX tag setting encoded than what
was passed to it when trying to compile the source code ... libtool tag
configs are just a group of settings that libtool will use when compiling
different types of sources.  for example, a C++ file needs to be compiled
in a different way than say a regular old C file.

notice that automake invoked
./libtool --mode=link g++-3.3 ...
instead of doing
./libtool --mode=link --tag CXX g++-3.3 ...

this forced libtool to run through its tag configurations and try and
guess what sort of tag 'g++-3.3' requires (*we* know that it wants to
use the CXX tag).  just peek at the tags written to the end of the
./libtool file ... specifically, look at the CXX tag ... or just run:
grep ^CC= libtool
chances are you'll get back something like
CC=gcc
CC=g++
none of these values match 'g++-3.3' thus libtool gives up and goes
'well shit, no idea what this is' ... or in libtool speak, 'unable to
infer tagged configuration'

> In particular, what do I need to reconfigure to make them go away?  Do I
> need to rerun autoconf? configure? something else?

if you regenerated all the files with newer autotools, the code would
pass the correct --tag option to libtool so that it doesnt need to try
and guess what it should use

> More broadly, if you have any advice about dealing with this situation, I
> would appreciate it.  I am trying to develop a package that will build in a
> variety of environments, and so may want to switch compilers and libraries
> even after things settle down.

just use the latest version of automake/autoconf/libtool and the problem
should magically go away
-mike