Re: unable to infer tagged configuration

From: Ross Boylan
Subject: Re: unable to infer tagged configuration
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:53:24 -0800

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 19:10 +0000, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 10:47:20AM -0800, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > after this line in the makefile output:
> > ./libtool --mode=link g++-3.3 -o test1 -g AbstractTimeStepsGenerator.o
> > Narrowly, can anyone shed any light on the errors reported at the top?
>
> the generated libtool has a different CXX tag setting encoded than what
> was passed to it when trying to compile the source code ... libtool tag
> configs are just a group of settings that libtool will use when compiling
> different types of sources.  for example, a C++ file needs to be compiled
> in a different way than say a regular old C file.
>
> notice that automake invoked
> ./libtool --mode=link g++-3.3 ...
> instead of doing
> ./libtool --mode=link --tag CXX g++-3.3 ...
I added this to my makefile, and it now seems to be working.
automake wasn't involved.

> this forced libtool to run through its tag configurations and try and
> guess what sort of tag 'g++-3.3' requires (*we* know that it wants to
> use the CXX tag).  just peek at the tags written to the end of the
> ./libtool file ... specifically, look at the CXX tag ... or just run:
> grep ^CC= libtool
> chances are you'll get back something like
> CC=gcc
> CC=g++
> none of these values match 'g++-3.3' thus libtool gives up and goes
> 'well shit, no idea what this is' ... or in libtool speak, 'unable to
> infer tagged configuration'
It's odd that CC is used for the C++ compiler.  I see why g++-3.3 would
be a problem, but I don't see why g++ works.  Does it have something to
do with CC=g++ line?

> > In particular, what do I need to reconfigure to make them go away?  Do I
> > need to rerun autoconf? configure? something else?
>
> if you regenerated all the files with newer autotools, the code would
> pass the correct --tag option to libtool so that it doesnt need to try
> and guess what it should use
Rerunning configure didn't help.  Was this a reference to the fact that
automake should do the right thing?

> > More broadly, if you have any advice about dealing with this situation, I
> > would appreciate it.  I am trying to develop a package that will build in a
> > variety of environments, and so may want to switch compilers and libraries
> > even after things settle down.
>
> just use the latest version of automake/autoconf/libtool and the problem
> should magically go away
> -mike
Thanks for the pointers.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               address@hidden