Re: response file support in GCC

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: response file support in GCC
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 15:16:28 +0100

Hi Gary,

* Gary V. Vaughan wrote on Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 02:49:25PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> >Erm.  We have -objectlist.  I have yet to see a different need for
> >response file semantics in libtool.
>
> Too many -D/-I options... I'm sure there are others.

config.h exists for the former, and it's more portable, too.[1]
But yes, you have a point anyway.

[1] Just for reference:
  -DPACKAGE_STRING=\"mdemo\ 0.1\"
won't go unharmed through
- the Comeau compiler wrapper (a csh script actually),
- the MSVC wrapper script cccl
- some older mpicc wrapper scripts (implementations of the MPI parallel
  programming API),
- likely others as well.

I have a patch floating around to AC_CONFIG_HEADERize the libtool old
test suite, for testing of those, if anyone is interested.