Re: 1.5.18: suppressing non-C language checks / pass flags to cc in link

From: Daniel Reed
Subject: Re: 1.5.18: suppressing non-C language checks / pass flags to cc in link mode
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:16:18 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 26 Nov 2005, Mike Frysinger wrote:
On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 06:17:10AM +0000, Paul Jakma wrote:
I tried to upgrade to a 1.5.18 in order to see if Problem 1 had been
addressed at all (i had been using 1.5.6 i think - perhaps with some
m4 files from CVS circa 2004 which dont have this problem). However,
I found that there still does not seem to be a way to suppress
libtool's desire to check for every possible language known to
computer science.
1.5.20 (and earlier) do not allow you to change this behavior ...
afaik, this has not be resolved in cvs either ...

While not a clean fix (it still checks for C++ and Fortran), this problem was fixed in branch-1-5 (Libtool no longer bails if it can't find them) over a year ago. The first release with the fix would have been 1.5.10.

2004-08-12  Peter O'Gorman  <address@hidden>

        * configure.ac, libtool.m4: Ensure that a c++ compiler exists before
        checking for the c++ preprocessor. Apparently reported by multiple
        people, multiple times.

Using 1.5.16:
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... no
checking for c++... no
checking for gpp... no
checking for aCC... no
checking for CC... no
checking for cxx... no
checking for cc++... no
checking for cl... no
checking for FCC... no
checking for KCC... no
checking for RCC... no
checking for xlC_r... no
checking for xlC... no
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
checking for g77... no
checking for f77... no
checking for xlf... no
checking for frt... no
checking for pgf77... no
checking for fort77... no
checking for fl32... no
checking for af77... no
checking for f90... no
checking for xlf90... no
checking for pgf90... no
checking for epcf90... no
checking for f95... no
checking for fort... no
checking for xlf95... no
checking for ifc... no
checking for efc... no
checking for pgf95... no
checking for lf95... no
checking for gfortran... no
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether  accepts -g... no
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 32768
checking command to parse /bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok

Daniel Reed <address@hidden>      http://shell.n.ml.org/n/
http://naim.n.ml.org/
What makes a man great? A man may be great in his aims, or in his
achievements, or in both, but I think that man is truly great who makes
the world his debtor... who does something for the world which the world
needs and which nobody before him has done or known how to do. -- Rupert
Gould [Longitude]